Tuesday 14 April 2009

Identity

funny how we becoming defined by what we do or think? Criminal, Genius, artist, Chav all are titles we give people and thats how we end up seeing them.

The breakfast club is a brillent movie. It stars some of the 80's brat pack. I won't ruin the movie for you but the basic idea is that their are a group of five students who go into detention. each one fits a sterotype and well you realise that actual these people have an alwful lot in common with each other.

I remember very clearly a friend of mine speaking in church about why he didn't like someone. he could not realise why people were laughing. People weren't use to that honesty it was refreshing. Another friend stood up at an ignite session and laid out all her struggles and difficulties.

I admire these people and aspire to have more of their courage and honesty. I put a face on, I act, think, do, say everything in order to please everyone around me. My life and who I am is pretty much run around everyone around me. Therefore I am a completely different person around lets say my parents and my friends. I get lost in who I am and who I really am.

By measuring myself by other peoples standards this pushes God to the back. an image is a copy of something, the image is defined by whose image it is. Genesis 1 v 26 says that we are made in God's image. My identity, my sense of who I am comes from beyond others and beyond myself. It completely is dependent on him.

I've spent so long trying to accept my own worth and my significance that I didn't even realise how selfish I have been. It isn't about me, my image comes from God, to be able to find out who i am, who I really am, this means I need to seek him.

Please pray that I apply this to my life and that these aren't just words but I actually apply it to real life and I can change my thinking pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment